Wild Game Jambalaya
Monday, 26 May 2008
DescriptionJambalaya is the kind of dish that can feed a big crowd. It takes a long time to cook, but it seems to get eaten pretty fast! Normally made with some combination of shrimp, chicken and andouille sausage, this recipe takes on an exotic twist with smoky wild boar bacon, chunks of alligator tail meat and kangaroo sausage.
At a glance
• 1 pound alligator tail meat, cubed
• 2 tablespoons Cajun spice mix
• 1 cup cubed wild boar bacon
• 1 pound kangaroo sausage, sliced into rounds
• 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
• 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and diced
• 2 cups diced celery
• 2 (6-ounce cans) tomato paste
• 1 (28-ounce can) tomatoes
• 2 quarts low-sodium chicken stock
• 4 cups uncooked long grain white rice
In a large bowl, toss the alligator with the Cajun spice mix and reserve.